Sleat Community Trading Co Ltd
Petrol ~ Diesel ~ Shop ~ Post Office ~ Garage
Armadale, Sleat, Isle of Skye IV45 8RS
With the support of the Big Lottery and Highlands & Islands Enterprise, Sleat Community Trust took over ownership of the Skye Ferry Filling Station on the 3rd December 2007. Following a community vote in May 2017, the shop was renamed 'Armadale Stores'.
Armadale Stores is managed by the volunteer directors of Sleat Community Trading Co Ltd.
SUMMER: Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm, and Saturday 8.30am to 3.30pm. Post Office closed from 1.30pm on Wednesday and Saturday.
WINTER: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9.30am to 5.30pm, and Saturday 9.30am to 1.30pm. Wednesday 9.30am to 1.30pm
The shop has been refurbished, painted and re-stocked with local produce including venison, meat, maps, books, sweets, snacks, off sales and a large range of general groceries. Petrol and diesel are also available.
The Post Office
Since 2008 the Post Office has offered the full range of services that Royal Mail offer, as well as Post Office approved stationery.
Sleat Trading successfully arranged an increase of opening hours paid for by the Post Office from 6 up to 15 per week. However, the Post Office also opens for additional hours to increase ease of community access, up to a total of 38 hours per week.
Important Notice: Armadale Stores and Post Office will be relocating to a temporary site opposite the Clan Donald Lands Trust towards the end of November 2019. This is to allow the redevelopment of the current site and adjacent SCT offices. From this time there will be no fuel service. Calor Gas will be available as currently. It is expected that the redevelopment will take 30-35 weeks but further information will be available near that time. Nearest fuel services: The Cooperative at Broadford (24 hrs ), Kyle of Lochalsh ( 24 hrs with automatic pumps ) and Mallaig (limited hours).
The garage has been leased to MacGillivray Motors. If the number of cars regularly parked at the garage is any indication, business is brisk and fully appreciated by the locals! Contact Alasdair MacGillivray on 01471 844361
- - - - - - - - - - -
Subsidised Taxi Service
Sleat Community Trading operates a Highland Council funded subsidised taxi service for Sleat residents. A current reduction of 50% on the meter fare is offered for trips within Sleat and to onward transport links to Kyle and Broadford. Conditions apply. Taxis must be booked through Armadale Stores at least 24 hours in advance. Call 01471 844249 for further information, or, in summary, this is how it works:
- Call 01471 844249 at least 24 hours in advance of your required taxi booking time. This allows staff plenty of time to arrange your taxi and to ensure a company is available at the required booking time. Bookings made less than 24 hours in advance will not be taken other than in exceptional circumstances.
- Be clear about your required taxi time, location for pick up and final destination.
- The customer pays 50% of the meter rate to the taxi driver for any journey within Sleat or to onward travel links in Broadford or Kyle.
- If the customer doesn't show up for their taxi journey, or if the taxi is cancelled with less than two hours notice (the two hours are within shop opening times; ie- if your taxi is booked for 8am on a Tuesday you would need to cancel by 3.30pm on Monday afternoon), then a charge is levied to the Trust. Please ensure that you cancel your booking in good time if you are in doubt. The Trust retains the right to claim this charge back from the customer if no timely cancellation is made.
- Abuse of this service or non payment of taxi fares may result in the barring of the customer from this community project.
- Sorry - can't be used for going to/from the pub!
- - - - - - - - - -
Skyenet - Wireless Broadband from Sleat Community Trust
Sleat Community Trust provides a wireless broadband service to the following areas; Achnacloich, Aird, Drumfearn, Heaste, Ord, Tokavaig and Tarskavaig. Further information on this service can be found on Skyenet's dedicated website www.skyenet.co.uk or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.