24 April 2015
Trust Snippets - w/e 24th April
A fantastic Spring week on Sleat comes to an end with the following Trust updates;
- The Great Sleat Draw starts this weekend. There are over 25 top prizes including; festival tickets, dining at top Sleat hotels, whisky related goods, a flying experience and a pottery lesson. Tickets are available in outlets around the parish for £2.50. The draw itself will take place on the opening night of the “Made In Sleat” exhibition on the 25th of July in Duisdale Hall. T and C’s online at www.sleat.org.uk. The full prize list, which is being added to all the time, will be available early next week.
- Thanks to the folks at Mossburn Distillers and Colorado Group for showing Trust reps round the new Torabhaig Distillery site. Work is continuing apace at the old Knock steading and all were impressed at the use of traditional methods and materials in the restoration programme. Stills are due in place at the end of 2016 with the distillery open for business from Easter 2017.
- So popular was our offer of displaying and selling local artists products in the Armadale Post Office that we will now have two “Artists of the Month”. Displays will start in May and run through to September changing monthly. We will update you each month with pics on our Facebook page of what will be on display from each artist.
- Patricia Shone has agreed to become a director of our Trading subsidiary.
- Angus will attend a SCDI evening meeting at Hotel Eilean Iarmain on Thursday where Robert Thorburn the NGB Programme Manager for BT in the Highlands and Islands will be the principal guest speaker.
- Trust reps were in Elgol on Tuesday night to meet with folks from Torrin and Strathaird regarding broadband possibilities for the peninsula. Good discussion where several options were aired and an invitation was made for a further meeting in the near future, in Sleat, to observe the Skyenet system when it is up and running and what options our infrastructure and service may provide to our near neighbours.
- Other broadband updates are as follows; still waiting for our Ofcom licence and for final connection of our Mallaig backhaul, Simon and Ian of HEBNET will be on the ground next week working on the south part of the Skyenet wireless infrastructure, marketing materials have been produced and will be supplied to the Drumfearn township in the next weeks as this will be the first area of Sleat to have the potential to subscribe to the first community based broadband service on Skye.
- Main Trust board meeting on Monday