Sorry for the lack of updates last week as I was away at an event at the Scottish Parliament……therefore a bumper list for you this week!
• A big welcome to Moira Johnson of Drumfearn who has agreed to become a director of the Trust.
• The Trust has met with Stuart MacPhee who co-ordinates Community Service orders for Lochaber and Skye. The Trust has agreed to be part of the placement process and will accept an individual for three hours of work from next week. The individual will help with duties in the main Trust office.
• Angus attended the “Future is Local” event organised by the Scottish Community Alliance at the Scottish Parliament. Highlight was being able to sit in the main chamber during the morning session of the event (see pic).
• Thanks to Crossroads Care for hiring Aite and showing what can be done with this Trading space. They have already booked for a second two day pop up shop event on May 23rd and 24th! Thanks to all that came along.
• Alain Ashford (grandson of David) has volunteered, during his holiday, to plant over 250 Willow trees around the wood fuel facility site in Tormore forest.
• Ed Pybus from the Parent Council of Bun-sgoil Shlèite and Chris have identified some cut larch log which the Trust will donate for seating for the children’s school playground.
• Chris will attend a biomass workshop run by Highland Birchwoods in Inverness next week.
• New shelving is now in place in the shop and filled with new products. More wholefoods, car related items, two stroke oil, Ecover cleaning products and tourist goods are all now on display. Shop Local!
• The Trust has met with representatives of Community Land Scotland at Sabhal Mor Ostaig to go over arrangements for their conference in June. Over 85 delegates are signed up already to attend and the event is well on track to be “sold out”. Speakers will include the First Minister Alex Salmond, Brian Wilson, Dr Alison Elliot of the Land Reform Review Group and our very own chair Jane McDermott.
• Our internship vacancy, for a Graduate Enterprise Support Officer, is now live for applications on the Talent Scotland website. Follow this link for more information here
• The Trust has written a letter in support of a funding application for a “trim trail” for the pupils at Bun-sgoil Shlèite.
• Angus has been asked to stand as a director of Community Land Scotland (CLS). He has agreed to go forward for nomination at the CLS AGM.
• Scottish Woodlands will start internal roading work in Tormore forest in a fortnight’s time. This to enable second stage harvesting to restart during the first weeks of June.
• Sharon has attended a training event in Broadford regarding Social Media run by Business Gateway.
• Wire mesh has arrived which will allow the base to be started for our wood fuel shed. Roger Winkleman is co-ordinating the shuttering work and pouring of the concrete base on behalf of the contractor James MacInnes.
• Sandra Bryne of Community Broadband Scotland will visit on Friday the 3rd May.